Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Umbrella, Anyone?

Southwest UT is having some unusual weather--rain, rain, and more rain.  The creeks are all running high, the ski slopes are green, and people are shaking their heads.  Famous for bright blue skies, UT is in a bit of a weather funk.

Mom and I toughed it out and went to Bryce Canyon National Park anyways.  Maybe we were overconfident after scoring a few hours of sunshine yesterday--we studied the radar maps on our iPhones, and decided to be optimists.  "It's clearing up!  It can't rain all the time, geez.  I am sure the sun is really trying to peek through over to the south."  We drove across the plateau in the rain, swung by Panguitch Lake in the rain, hung out in the visitor center waiting for the rain to stop, then finally put on our fleeces and went to the rim.

Basically, Bryce Canyon was trapped inside a giant cloud today.  We bailed on hiking and came home early.  Bummer.

If you're the only two people at Inspiration Point, there might be a (meteorological) problem.

One of the great things about today was getting close to a Common Raven.  I just love them.  They are found in so many places and thrive in all but the harshest environments.  Despite their wilderness prevalence, they are not fond of urban life.  They are an intelligent, playful, loyal, and clever bird, usually game to share the best natural gems with us.  I doubt I've been on a hike without seeing one, and they are everywhere in northern Minnesota.  A raven, above all things, reminds me of home.

Don't worry, I forgot my umbrella, too.

Great end to the day--Jon is here!  (With my raincoat!)  So, we are a family of four in Utah for the first time.

1 comment:

  1. This raven picture is really, really cool! Hard to get Raven and Crow eyes to show in low night, the wet feathers are really great! Ravens are one of my favorite birds, and this closeup has tons of character!

    ReplyDelete