Sunday, November 11, 2012

30 Days of Thanks: Military Veterans



Grandpa Joe - unmarked photo from New Guinea
 
Today's entry topic was so easy--I assume every Veteran knows I am thankful for their service.  Which is not a substitute for saying it out loud.  (I've been talking a lot about "out loud" this month, haven't I?)  I am grateful for the men and women who have fought and died so I can exercise the 1st Amendment--and all the other Amendments for that matter (remember 19 from a few days back?)

It is with a greater understanding now than I had even a few years ago that I reach for USAF Colonel Walter Hitchcock's famous American idiom: Freedom is not free.

A year ago today, I posted one of my favorite blog entries, Armistice Day 1942.  I took some time today to upload a few other photos from my Grandfather's WWII service, as well as his discharge papers.  Because I love his thumbprint.  I hope you find them amusing, I know the photo from the swimming hole sure made me laugh.

Remember last year when I speculated on his use of "native?"  I must have been correct!


Bet you anything they just wore the suits for the photo...  Heh, heh.

Thumbprint.  LOVE.

HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment