Friday, November 9, 2012

30 Days of Thanks: Officemates

My co-workers are truly amazing people.

When I was first hired as a Cytologist, I wasn't sure how long I would stay at the hospital I work at in downtown St. Paul.  I was just out of school and had done my clinicals at the UMN, so I was attached to the group across the river, and really wanted to be affiliated with a university setting.  I started out thinking I would stay for a year, so I figured there wasn't much point in putting up any photos at my desk.  Then my goal became five years, you know--so I could be vested and all that jazz.  It's now been over eight, and I probably couldn't fit one more photo in my cube.  (I don't mind cube life, by the way.  Office Space gave it a bad name.  But I do love that movie...)

Anyway, back to gratitude.

The people who work in my department are a brilliant mix of witty, compassionate, and bold.  They are fierce "behind the scenes" advocates for patients, never asking for (or wanting) any credit.  I never get tired of the huge role we play for strangers we will never meet, and I am inspired by the excellence of those around me.  We also have an abundance of nerdy/scientific office humor, which I don't find anywhere else.  We can "leave the office at the office" and still enjoy each other as friends.  As family.

Could I do my job anywhere?  Sure.  But I don't care to.  Eight years going on....?

Lunchtime 5K with my carpool/microscope partner, Suzi!  Trying not to catch my Washington wig on the banner.

1 comment: