Sunday, November 25, 2012

30 Days of Thanks: Zzzzzzz

Well, we all knew it would happen--I missed yesterday's entry.  :)

Yesterday was a long day--driving north from Ensenada, crossing the border in Tijuana, heading to San Diego, flying back to Minneapolis, and thumbing a ride home from our neighbor, Cy.  But it was SO good to be home.

The Gunderson Love Nest -- although not this week, since there is a light dusting of snow now. 

I love everything about our house.  I remember so clearly the excitement in Jon's voice when he called me over nine years ago after seeing it with our realtor--or how he drove me by it after he was under contract, and we saw Cy cutting his kids' hair in his garage as we pulled into the cul de sac.  Our house looks very different now than it did on moving day as we have extensively remodeled it--something we did together.  Ok, well, we didn't always agree on everything, and there was that whole fireplace incident.  Or the ceiling fan incident.  Or the mouse incident.....or the day we found out the reason the bathtub was so cold was because there wasn't any insulation in the wall it was against, or......forget it.  There are too many.  We have painted all the rooms a couple times, Jon asked me to marry him in the back yard on a spring morning, and all of my Flat-Coats have lived here.  It is a good place.  Better than good.

What I enjoy most about coming home is the smell of our house.  Everyone's house has "that" smell, doesn't it?  The mix of cooking and laundry detergent, candles and our lavender mint soap.  In the midst of all that life can give, be it good or bad, home is a refuge. 

Mac and Apolo were SO excited to see us!  Apolo made some noises that I haven't ever heard him make before.  :)  Mac snuggled next to me until I fell asleep, and again this morning after Jon was up making eggs.

So, yesterday I was thankful for home--and today, lazy Sundays.


No comments:

Post a Comment